Saturday, December 13, 2008

I trued bupdating yesterday but apparently didn't do it correct cause it didn't go. Thursday he had a rough day as the Dr. mentioned to him he would probably never drive truck again. That bummed him out. His therapist and I both told him that he would have to prove that dr. wrong. Gils mom and stepdad from NY came as well as his brother Kevin and nephew Nathan from California. I think that helped pull him out of his slump a bit, but we did limit the number of visitors at once so he wasn't so overwhelmed. Friday, again he had a sluggish day and when I got here he was refusing to eat. I walked into the dining room and asked if there was vegetables on his plate and the aide said, Oh yeah, I forgot. I told them to take those damn things off and he would eat. By then, he was in tears and so upset. Dorrine talked to the nurses and then to the kitchen staff, as we have talked to them many times about NO VEGETABLES, and she finally told them if they couldn't get it right, she could come down each mealtime and fix his tray for him. He did finally eat for me and then the above company came, as well as sister and lil Nancy and that perked up his spirits. So had a good visiting day, although he tended to forget about me, but I guess that's okay. Last night he had an antsy period which usuallly means he has to go to the bathroom. I did the urinal thing and asked him if he had to do more as he had passed gas. He shook his head no but I rang for the nurse as I wasn't sure that was what he meant. They almost made it but not quite, so its times like that , that he is so embarrassed and emotional too. So the two girls(aides) took him into the shower to clean him up. Apparently the hose got away from them and the girls got sprayed. I could hear Gil chuckling in there and that made me smile. Now, how many wives would know that their husband is in the shower with two girls and still be able to chuckle and smile about it? I wouldn't recommend any of you guys trying it though unless you are in a hospital, or you may be!!!!!!!!!!!! Today, Lil Nancy and I took Dorrine to the airport to fly home. She had a hard time leaving. She wanted to go home as she was homesick, yet didn't want to leave her dad either. She should be calling soon to let us know she landed in Detroit. She only has an hour layover and then a 45 minute flight to CWA. Donald will be there to pick her up. She is hoping that Gail and or Tony will bring the kids as she really misses them too. I'm not sure if she got hold of Clayton or not but I did tell him she was coming home this evening. Jan, Paul, Nathan and Kevin left a little while ago to go back to New York. The Nancy's and I will stay til 7 or so and head out for something to eat and back to the hotel. He had a good day today. His therapy is going well and yesterday he helped the therapist put on his pants(Gil's pants, not the thereapists!!!)He tries to say words but nothing comes out. Still no movement on his right side, although the therapist did feel muscle resistance in his shoulder and he said that was a good thing. Did I tell you, the dr. therapists, nurses and social worker will have meeting on Tuesday to discuss his progress to see about when he can go back to Wisconsin. At this point they think perhaps 10 days. We'll see what they say on Tuesday. Okay, I will try to do daily updates and make sure they get sent. Thanks for all your prayers, thoughts, and phone calls. It most certainly helps. Love to all, Susie

2 comments:

LESLIE SMETAK FOR GUV. WI. said...

Sue and Gil
Just talked to Dorrine. She told me about this. We are glad to hear that Gil is doing so much better and are praying for his improvement. Also we are praying for you Sue. May God give you the strength,patience and courage to face each day with hope. Know that you are in our prayers.
Les & Karey

Marykay said...

Hi Gil and Family,
Sue and kids, am praying for strength for you all, and Gil, use that sense of humor of yours to get past this part, and start the serious healing, you hear? You can't imagine how many people love you and that dear family of yours. Checking every day to see if you're "all better" yet.
With love and prayers to one of my favorite famililes, Marykay